Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Suspension settings.

Hi all, just wondering how everyone is getting on with the suspension on the MT ? Ive only done 300 miles up to now but I'm finding the suspension way too harsh. Being on the lardy side I'm more used to soft wallowy suspension on new bikes until I have a twiddle with the settings. I had two test rides before buying mine and I'm pretty sure they weren't as harsh as this. Has anyone else had the same problem from new ? I know things will probably soften up with a few more miles on the clock but I wouldn't have thought by a great deal.
    My original plan was to leave things as they were and just ride it until the first service before adjusting anything, but I couldn't last that long !
    When I checked, everything was on standard settings as the salesman had said. From experience I would say it was under sprung at the rear and over damped at both ends. I have put some preload on the shock and backed off the compression damping a few clicks at both ends to see if it makes a difference. Maybe its partly due to riding a KTM Supermoto for the past couple of years which was a magic carpet by comparison ! Also I have noticed tyres can make a huge difference to ride quality. Any thoughts or advice anyone ?

Quote Originally Posted by budge View Post
    Hi all, just wondering how everyone is getting on with the suspension on the MT ? Ive only done 300 miles up to now but I'm finding the suspension way too harsh. Being on the lardy side I'm more used to soft wallowy suspension on new bikes until I have a twiddle with the settings. I had two test rides before buying mine and I'm pretty sure they weren't as harsh as this. Has anyone else had the same problem from new ? I know things will probably soften up with a few more miles on the clock but I wouldn't have thought by a great deal.
    My original plan was to leave things as they were and just ride it until the first service before adjusting anything, but I couldn't last that long !
    When I checked, everything was on standard settings as the salesman had said. From experience I would say it was under sprung at the rear and over damped at both ends. I have put some preload on the shock and backed off the compression damping a few clicks at both ends to see if it makes a difference. Maybe its partly due to riding a KTM Supermoto for the past couple of years which was a magic carpet by comparison ! Also I have noticed tyres can make a huge difference to ride quality. Any thoughts or advice anyone ?
    You aint the only one.

The front is stiff, the rear too soft.

I have a "Guy" - ex AMA & WSBK tuner. He took all the preload and comp off the front. Added 2.5 turns of preload to the rear.
    Pretty sure he had to slow down the rebound (Increase) on both front and read.

I'm 175lbs, if that helps, you may need more spring preload in the rear than I did.

I read that Stoltec Moto also decreased the High Speed compression on the shock to only I turn in.

I'm running 34 psi in the rear, 32psi in the front. Helps a bit and provides better grip and feedback.
    At the track I'd run 30 front, 28 rear as a comparison.
    If pain is fear leaving the body, I must be "Fearless"

Thanks for the reply cynkrzy, that more or less tallies with my thoughts, although I'm 80lbs heavier Are you on Bridgestone rubber the same as UK bikes ?

Thanks for the reply cynkrzy, that more or less tallies with my thoughts, although I'm 80lbs heavier Are you on Bridgestone rubber the same as UK bikes ?
    Yes. I've been a huge Bridgestone fan for years, the BT-016 pro is still my favorite, I've hoarded a couple of sets since they're always on sale these days. But I got a buddy, a real fast buddy, that says the new S21 is the best Bridgestone he's ever used, so may try a set next.

Quote Originally Posted by cynkrzy View Post
    You aint the only one.

The front is stiff, the rear too soft.

I have a "Guy" - ex AMA & WSBK tuner. He took all the preload and comp off the front. Added 2.5 turns of preload to the rear.
    Pretty sure he had to slow down the rebound (Increase) on both front and read.

I'm 175lbs, if that helps, you may need more spring preload in the rear than I did.

I read that Stoltec Moto also decreased the High Speed compression on the shock to only I turn in.

I'm running 34 psi in the rear, 32psi in the front. Helps a bit and provides better grip and feedback.
    At the track I'd run 30 front, 28 rear as a comparison.
    Vast improvement ! Wound rear preloaded up to near maximum and reduced compression a few clicks both ends. Definitely the right way to go. Will take a few more clicks off the compression damping and a bit of pre load off the front tomorrow, also a few psi out of tyres and see how it goes oh the comfort seat makes a big difference also.

Vast improvement ! Wound rear preloaded up to near maximum and reduced compression a few clicks both ends. Definitely the right way to go. Will take a few more clicks off the compression damping and a bit of pre load off the front tomorrow, also a few psi out of tyres and see how it goes oh the comfort seat makes a big difference also.
    This is the best OEM comfort seat I've ever ridden. Glad you got the suspension working better for you. Waiting on StoltecMoto to come up with a recommendation for a Penske shock. This one ain't up to the task.

I have taken 4 clicks out the compression on the front and 2 out the rear. Also reduced the rear tyre pressure to 36psi. Way, way better and more compliant. Interestingly at 1200 miles the rear tyre is wearing evenly so the lower pressure isn't hurting

One thing to try is to wind the fork adjusters all the way in and out and make a note of where they were. On mine there was more compression and preload on the left fork than the right so I set everything straight down the middle then -2 clicks of compression on both forks, it's still very taught but doesn't jar over bumps.

Still a bit soft at the back though but i'm in no rush to mess with it further.

It would be nice to have the suspension set up correctly. A 200 mile ride today, mainly on twisty and bumpy roads in Wales, the front is too stiff so I will back the preload off a little in the morning.

At speed (110 mph plus, yes I know, I know)due to having to hang on to the bars a bit tighter, the bike was trying hard to shake its head over road imperfections (good old steering damper).

On another note: Does anybody know why the steering damper has an electrical connection............

One of the light on your screen is for Error in steering damper - thats the latest steering damper have..