Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikran Makto View Post
    Hi Nick

Good to see you finally got some track time under you belt.
    You've shipped a few orders to me here in Sydney of late, I know there are posts on here about the front springs replacement, the OEM ones feel like they are going to shake the fillings from my teeth every time I ride over a pothole. What springs from Stoltec do you recommend to be used mainly for street riding. I'm about 85 kgs, or 185 pounds in your speak, geared up.

Cheers
    If you don't mind, shoot an email over to sales@stoltecmoto.com with your geared weight, riding style, and if you have any weight added to or removed from the bike.

Heading out with the fam now and want to keep this thread somewhat clean...

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I ended up in a position to take a short tour this past week on the FZ-10. Nothing crazy, only about 850 miles. But the schedule meant much of it (~500 miles) would be spent on the highway. So in addition to readying the usual stuff, I spent some time attempting to make the cruise control work.

For those who haven't paid attention to the cruise control ramblings, the radial master cylinder swap left something to be desired with the brake switch. The firmer master cylinder built up enough pressure earlier in the stroke thereby slowing the bike before the brake switch was engaged. It wasn't a major problem, but other riders inquired why it looked like I was slowing without any indication from the brake light. It worked under heavy braking, but light pressure (like trail braking or in traffic) didn't work satisfactorily. So, I ended up ever so slightly filing down the brake switch plunger to correct the switch's engagement point.

It worked! But, it now meant that the primary stage of the switch used to disengage the cruise control did not fully open. So, no cruise control. Not a problem for most of my riding, but I wanted it back nonetheless.

We've had a few customers approach us with the same issue. Some were successful in joining the two switches together (thus turning the dual switch into a single switch). But others claimed this did not work. 100% honesty - I did not play with the wiring. Did not have the need, nor did I have the time to play. It just wasn't a priority.

Rather than splice the factory wiring and risk it not working, I took another approach. I disassembled the switch to see how the unit was configured. Here's a shot inside the back half of the switch:

You'll see the plunger down the middle with two 'legs' on either side. These legs, or feet, interface directly with the microswitches. As you can see, they are timed a bit to give the 'dual stage' functionality mentioned above. You can imagine how intrigued I was to see such a simple, elegant design here. Mostly because it meant the timing could be easily altered!

Step one was to remove th plunger(s).

Guts removed...

Next step was to make a minor mod to the housing. In this case, a little trim job. Here you can see the plastic wall I started to cut (it's still attached for clarity):

And here it is completely removed:

With the wall removed, I inserted a shim (washer) I made to fit around the plunger. The shim combined with the trimming allows the switch to fully open (lets cruise control activate), and imporantly, disengage the cruise control when the brake lever is pulled.

With the current mods, both switches function again AND the brake still comes on at the slightest bit of lever pressure. Just like it should be.

And best of all? THE CRUISE CONTROL WORKS! Since the brakes were modified shortly after picking up the bike last year, I didn't have much reason to use the cruise control. But after this past week, I'm glad I sorted it out. It goes without saying that electronic cruise control is leaps and bounds better than a throttle lock, but I personally needed to experience it to be a believer. It was great using the control on the LH switchgear to accelerate, decelerate, etc.

Sometimes the small victories are the ones that matter...

This isn't necessarily new, but it's new to this thread. Finally stuck the decal somewhere it can be found easily.

No need to fumble for the maintenance manual for routine business...

And of course, now available:

http://mt10forum.com/threads/2536-Ne...0106#post30106

Quote Originally Posted by stoltec moto View Post
    If you don't mind, shoot an email over to sales@stoltecmoto.com with your geared weight, riding style, and if you have any weight added to or removed from the bike.

Heading out with the fam now and want to keep this thread somewhat clean...

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Got round to having ine fitted last week Nick. Went ouit yesterday on one of my usual mixture of A & B roads, the differance was incredible. There was only one section of multiple pot holes & road surface changes that caused some juddering. Otherwise really smooth feedback to the forearms and wrists.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by trickymicky65 View Post
    Got round to having ine fitted last week Nick. Went ouit yesterday on one of my usual mixture of A & B roads, the differance was incredible. There was only one section of multiple pot holes & road surface changes that caused some juddering. Otherwise really smooth feedback to the forearms and wrists.
    Glad to hear it! We have something in the works to further smooth things out...more to follow soon!

Dressed up for that little trip last week.

The rearsets definitely cramp my knees and ankles a bit, but nothing like what an R1 would feel like. I have a few options to execute, but more on that down the road.

But the seat...oh dear, that seat. While the Comfort seat made a big improvement for me, my tookus starts to develop a real ache about 3-4 hours in. Had an issue with this on another short trip in June, and despite trying a few clothing adjustments, the pain was back. But the most unfortunate part was that the stock seat was down at Sargent Cycle in Florida for a rework. It was supposed to arrive a couple days before my departure, but it arrived one day after.

The seat has been reshaped to eliminate the slope completely (the Comfort seat actually had more slope than the stocker). It's also 1/2" taller than the the stock seat. Unfortunately, the seat was supposed to be taller (1") and widened and dished to cradle my behind. As it stands, it's better than stock, but not as good as the Comfort seat. So, it's back for rework. Praying this next revision does the trick, because honestly, this is the only fly in the ointment. I'm usually pretty easy going with seats, but this one kills me. It's a show stopper on an otherwise very comfortable bike.

More to follow on this, as well.

Back to the trip, though...

While returning home, I ran into some pretty severe thunderstorms. I was headed up over the Blue Ridge Mountains making my way to the highway (schedule limited) and it started to POUR. Like, toad-choker kind of pour. So, I made my way to the nearest pull-off to don the rain gear. There was a nice open parking area that looked well-enough.

Unfortunately, the parking area must have tar and chipped the day before. While it felt pretty solid riding and walking on it, I watched the bike fall over while putting the rain gear on under a nearby tree. AGAIN! For those playing along from home, you'll recall this is the SECOND time the -10 has decided to take a nap...

The kickstand pushed right through the chips and fell onto its side. This time, it was in a slight dip, was loaded up with another 50 lbs of gear and luggage, and was POURING rain. Everything in the top case was laying on the ground, also getting poured on. I don't know when I'll laugh about this, but it isn't today. 500 lbs of wet bike while in full gear (with rains)...ugh.

The good news is that the Woodcraft frame sliders, engine protectors, axle sliders, and rearsets kept the pricey painted surfaces off the ground. Aside from being covered in gooey tar, the bike was unscathed. Thank God.

As you can see, the damage was limited to the nylon pucks on the frame/axle sliders and the aluminum skid plate on the engine protector. The tip of the rearset peg is scratched, too.

The 8 hour ride that followed my aqua-infused deadlift session got me thinking. Back in June, I picked up some debris in the rear tire while on a dirt road.

Yes, that is a piece of hex stock - the end of a bit driver! As you can see from the picture, it's good to be prepared. After a little fiddling, the Dynaplug kit and air compressor had us back on the road.

Moral of the story? It's good to be prepared. If it weren't for the crash protection and tire supplies, both trips would have been MUCH less enjoyable.

As such, we're going to run a sale for the remainder of the month. If you're headed out on a trip this month, take a look at what we're doing: http://mt10forum.com/threads/2603-Au...0400#post30400
    Last edited by stoltec moto; 08-05-2017 at 03:16 AM.

FINALLY!!! No, not rearsets (yet)...

Development work on the 25 mm fork cartridges are DONE. Done, as in ready for primetime!

http://mt10forum.com/threads/2634-No...0520#post30520