Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Suspoension opinions

I've heard some people complain about the suspension, looking for opinions and experiences of the suspension and how it can be improved or if it works ok with the options of adjustment available. This is for std MT not SP.

Thanks

Upgraded my rear Shock (after 1 year) to great Nitron R3.

July 2017 Suspension Setting inc. Nitron R3 (100 kg Spec):

Front Forks Sag 31 mm Pre Load 9.25 Turns C/W in Std;
    Fork Compression Damping -20 Clicks AC/W out (-3);
    Fork Rebound Damping -7 Clicks AC/W out (-1).

----------- ----------------- ----------

New Nitron R3 Shock (100kg):
    Sag 14 mm Pre-Load (STD standard as came);
    Low Speed Comp -11 Clicks out -3 Soft Tour (to -1 Norm);
    High Speed Comp -11 AC/W -3 Soft Trips (to -1 Norm);
    Rebound Damping -12 Clicks out (Std).

Really pleased with the bikes ride and the handling inc. fast bumpy roads.

Original (Stock) MT Rear Shock:

Sag Rear 15 mm, Pre-Load +1&1/2 Turns C/W Harder;
    Slow Speed Compression, 12 Clicks AC/W Out is Std
    Rebound Damping, 10 Clicks AC/W Out, is +1 Click Harder;
    High Speed Compression Damping, + 1/3 Turn In, Harder.

OEM Shock generally undersprung with slight light compromised damping, but settings above worked best.

Forks are dead on i’ve no issues with the front...

& Now with the Nitron R3 Shock fitted the whole bike’s suspension is great.
    Last edited by X Plane; 10-11-2017 at 03:39 PM.
    Yamaha MT-10, > 13k miles | 96 Aprilia Pegaso (Re-Built) 655, > 85k | 09 Kawasaki KLX 450R , W/Ends & Other Off-road... | Last / Previous: Yamaha MT-09 7k / Triumph Tiger 955i, 22k, 01 Yamaha YZ 250, 00 Suzuki DRZ 400E & 95 DR 350S ?, 91 Honda CBR 600FM 11k, & 86 Honda VF500F2 12k | 89 Kawasaki KMX 200 & many other 2 strokes...

MotorBike: an engine with one wheel out front and another one behind.

For me the suspension was way too harsh for general road use, and I quickly got fed up of the pile-driver sensation. I didn't keep a record of the settings I used for the forks, but I'm guessing they are about 75% of the way towards their softest settings. They were not too bad at standard settings, and pretty much perfect for me now.

At the back:

Rebound: 17 clicks out (23 out is the softest setting)
    Slow compression: 16 clicks out (18 out is the softest setting)
    Fast compression: 3 turns out (standard)

I've also taken 2 psi out of the tyres front and rear.

Obviously the bike doesn't hold a line quite as well round the corners as with harder settings - there's no wallow, but it's certainly not quite as pin sharp. But that's a trade off I'm happy to make for a bit more comfort on longer trips. Particularly as I haven't bought the comfort seat... yet. Definitely on my future shopping list.

Get it setup professionally. Even on stock kit it will improve massively. There are guides to do it yourself but if you don't know your sag from your rebound pay some one who does.

If that doesn't work for you then think about upgrading. Though to change the suspension you'll probably better part exchanging for an SP and the Öhlns. Decent rear Nitron shock is near £700 alone and you'll need to strip out the front to change those components parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Charwood23 View Post
    Get it setup professionally. Even on stock kit it will improve massively. There are guides to do it yourself but if you don't know your sag from your rebound pay some one who does.

If that doesn't work for you then think about upgrading. Though to change the suspension you'll probably better part exchanging for an SP and the Öhlns. Decent rear Nitron shock is near £700 alone and you'll need to strip out the front to change those components parts.
    ^ The PopKat bought a SP.
    Yamaha MT-10, > 13k miles | 96 Aprilia Pegaso (Re-Built) 655, > 85k | 09 Kawasaki KLX 450R , W/Ends & Other Off-road... | Last / Previous: Yamaha MT-09 7k / Triumph Tiger 955i, 22k, 01 Yamaha YZ 250, 00 Suzuki DRZ 400E & 95 DR 350S ?, 91 Honda CBR 600FM 11k, & 86 Honda VF500F2 12k | 89 Kawasaki KMX 200 & many other 2 strokes...

Quote Originally Posted by popkat View Post
    I've heard some people complain about the suspension, looking for opinions and experiences of the suspension and how it can be improved or if it works ok with the options of adjustment available. This is for std MT not SP.

Thanks

According to his initial post, he has a standard MT. But even if he had an SP, you still need the sag setting. As far as I am aware, the electronic suspension on the SP only affects damping, not pre-load, unless someone knows otherwise ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Mechanic View Post
    According to his initial post, he has a standard MT. But even if he had an SP, you still need the sag setting. As far as I am aware, the electronic suspension on the SP only affects damping, not pre-load, unless someone knows otherwise ?
    ^ Yip, he did enquire about standard MT, he’d not bought any bike then and later he opted to buy a 2nd hand SP.

http://mt10forum.com/threads/2856-Done-it-)
    Last edited by X Plane; 10-16-2017 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by X Plane View Post
    ^ Yip, he did enquire about standard MT, he’d not bought any bike then and later he opted to buy a 2nd hand SP.

http://mt10forum.com/threads/2856-Done-it-)
    So he will still need to set his sag. Must admit I didn't see the bit where he bought the 2nd hand SP, but then again, I only visit this forum every now and again, these days. Hence I must have missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mechanic View Post
    So he will still need to set his sag. Must admit I didn't see the bit where he bought the 2nd hand SP, but then again, I only visit this forum every now and again, these days. Hence I must have missed it.
    ^ Yup.... Roger.

Yes was going to get a new Standard model but the low mile SP won me over
    I will be looking at the suspension and I know how to set it all I asked about the std stuff to see what if any general consensus was on it.. The electronic adjustments will be new to me but suspension fettling in general I'm comfortable with, I do suspension set up's at work (but not re valves)

Last edited by popkat; 10-16-2017 at 06:06 PM.