Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Mpg

Quote Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post
    Well maybe I'm just trying to have my cake and eat it too in this situation. The other consideration was reliability and that's obviously a big plus for Yamaha's.

My bike is almost out of warranty so is another reason I want to make the switch.

Might see if I can get a test ride on the SP this weekend but it's supposed to rain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbstyt View Post
    I average 42-43mpg according to the on screen calculator.

My F Trip light normally starts flashing between 120-125 miles which according to the manual means here is another 4 litres in. I've ridden 15 miles whilst fuel trip was flashing and managed to get just shy of 15.5 litres in filled right to the brim. So I would say maximum of 130-140 miles per tank as I think most people ride in a more spirited manner than me.

I do wish it had a "miles left" counter like the S1000R. My old one would read 162 miles available on a Full tank, unfortunately I never got to test whether it was accurate or not due to the repeated failings of the bike! The S1KR does hold .5 litre more as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigershark View Post
    Best of luck with your test ride and whatever you decide to get next.
    Quote Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post
    Thanks for that
    Yep... Best wishes on any next bike. Keep on biking.

I Hear some can squeeze extra fuel in by letting the fuel level settle down and keep on topping up above the recommended filler dished perforated filler ring. Only ok tho if you are immediately ridding a few good miles after overfilling; as to park it up after over filled it causes problems if the sun shines on the tank as the fuel expands out the overflow into the charcoal filter and causes difficulty in starting.
    Last edited by X Plane; 10-11-2017 at 11:31 AM.
    Yamaha MT-10, > 13k miles | 96 Aprilia Pegaso (Re-Built) 655, > 85k | 09 Kawasaki KLX 450R , W/Ends & Other Off-road... | Last / Previous: Yamaha MT-09 7k / Triumph Tiger 955i, 22k, 01 Yamaha YZ 250, 00 Suzuki DRZ 400E & 95 DR 350S ?, 91 Honda CBR 600FM 11k, & 86 Honda VF500F2 12k | 89 Kawasaki KMX 200 & many other 2 strokes...

MotorBike: an engine with one wheel out front and another one behind.

Soooooo much variance....

What people are acheiving on the 10 is a massive variable...and not everyone rides just for fun, some also ride around town and do the local comute. For some they might be looking at the 10 as an all rounder

Forget about the weight of the rider, whether you pillion or not or even how hard you push the bike....or even if the bikes been broken in, mileage doesn't improve with time, it is what it is.

After 10,000 km's I can attest to one thing and one thing only.

If someone gets 200km out of a tank before the light comes on it's for one reason and one reason only.

They are not start/stopping and riding around town. They are flowing....

Comuting on this bike will get you 160km's a tank regardless of your weight and/or how you ride it or even the mode you use. It's all about averages and taking off is when it burns the most fuel which brings the mileage down faster than someone riding it hard while flowing. Simple mathmatics. Just check your real time fuel consumption indicator.

The only reason some are getting 200km's and above on a tank is cause they are riding at 80km and/or above without stop/starting as you would otherwise be doing while comuting.

So to clear up any misinformation...on a stock bike
    160km's / tank - around town travelling around 60km, variable speeds from as low as 40/50km/h

200km's / tank - while travelling 80km/h and above on freeways and highways pushing the bike however you like.

I'm 40km's out from any free flowing roads and best I've been able to get from a tank(dry) is 200km's while rolling into a servo.

Ps. What X-plane says bout overfilling, very true. Don't fill shit up too much and then park it in the sun. Definitely chokes the shit out her next time you start...experienced this myself.
    Last edited by Qwerty; 10-11-2017 at 11:53 AM.

Overfilling applies to cages as well. Many, possibly most people top off their vehicles. I always did that on my last Tacoma. At around 90,000 miles, I started spending money replacing emissions components plus clearing emissions faults and continued to do so until I sold it. A friend who’s a service manager told me it was from topping off. He said the tank is partioned on the top to protect the emissions vent from fuel backing up into the components on hot days with a full tank by having the gas pump shut off at the correct level. Makes sense. My wife and I now stop filling on the first shutoff of the pump.
    Last edited by Tigershark; 10-11-2017 at 01:23 PM.
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?

^ Good to know not to fuel-overfill / top-off cars too.
    Thumbs Up!
    Yamaha MT-10, > 13k miles | 96 Aprilia Pegaso (Re-Built) 655, > 85k | 09 Kawasaki KLX 450R , W/Ends & Other Off-road... | Last / Previous: Yamaha MT-09 7k / Triumph Tiger 955i, 22k, 01 Yamaha YZ 250, 00 Suzuki DRZ 400E & 95 DR 350S ?, 91 Honda CBR 600FM 11k, & 86 Honda VF500F2 12k | 89 Kawasaki KMX 200 & many other 2 strokes...

MotorBike: an engine with one wheel out front and another one behind.

After 1500 miles mine is reading an average of 36.2mpg

That's been riding hard on twisty roads, regularly riding over 120/130mph and lots of honing about.

can i just say that i for one arnt to bothered with the mpg its the distance that annoys me, id be happy just with a bigger tank, a easy 150 miles to the tank would be sweet

Quote Originally Posted by Kazuya View Post
    can i just say that i for one arnt to bothered with the mpg its the distance that annoys me, id be happy just with a bigger tank, a easy 150 miles to the tank would be sweet
    Same here, a nice project would be to get rid of the fake air intakes and plastic bits and have a 25 litre alloy tank made

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

With conservative normal riding 30% street 70% country roads I managed to average 7.43L ( OBD say 7.1 ) It was 200km and maybe 2L left in the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by budge View Post
    Same here, a nice project would be to get rid of the fake air intakes and plastic bits and have a 25 litre alloy tank made

Trouble with that idea is that the fake air scoops house loads of electrickery that would have to be moved elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
    Trouble with that idea is that the fake air scoops house loads of electrickery that would have to be moved elsewhere.
    Yep, not a simple or cheap job to do !