Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tigershark View Post
    MPG is inverse to horsepower (and it’s usage)

My 75 hp F700GS consistently gets 56 mpg (US)
    75 hp FZ(MT)07 55 mpg (US)
    115 hp FZ-09 45 mpg
    160 hp FZ-10 35 mpg
    170 hp Tuono V4 32 mpg

These numbers can easily be verified at Fuelly.com

Bigger fuel tanks generally mean heavier bikes and reduced mpg.

Good luck finding a fast bike that takes you 200-250 miles per tank. 120 miles is very typical. Plenty of new FZ-10 owners initially complain about that range, but learn to accept the trade off. If that’s a deal breaker, don’t buy the bike.

I ended up with the F700GS for other reasons. MPG was not one of them, just a bonus.
    I can get 4.7-4.9L/100klms on my S1000R if cruising on the highway and over 300klms to a tank. I don't normally ride like that but 380klms North from me is an amazing road but it's all highway to get there.

Maybe my idea is a little far fetched in wanting a do it all bike. I'm also looking at the KTM Super Duke GT but it's very expensive here and reliability is a concern

Only mentioning my S1000R as other bikes were mentioned vs power. Somehow BMW were able to achieve good power yet be great on fuel

Pictures for proof:

IMG_3259.jpg
    IMG_3260.jpg
    IMG_3261.jpg
    Last edited by fredaroony; 10-08-2017 at 06:55 PM.

I wish the MT-10 was more efficient.
    But let's face it, it just wasn't any focus on it from Yamaha
    2000 Yamaha FZS 600 Fazer
    2017 MT-10 SP

Not sure if it's a quirk of the crossplane engine but my 09 R1 was a thirsty bugger too

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

If you reset the ECU, al the mappings created bij the bike are reset. After this you drive the bike with a nice response on about 50 m/h for about 50 miles. So you remap the ECU.
    The average use will be a lot less. I am from Holland and i drive 120km/hour on cruise control in the 5th gear, and drive about 1 liter on 16,5 km.

This way you can remap the ECU, the same you can do after an Exhaust change.

Greeting, WIllem
    Last edited by MT-10-Biker; 10-08-2017 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rishnak View Post
    I wish the MT-10 was more efficient.
    But let's face it, it just wasn't any focus on it from Yamaha
    I'm loving the mpg on the MT10.

I have moved from an Aprilia V4 and that was a real thirsty bike compared to the MT.

Mpg is not a consideration when I am bike shopping, but am pleasantly surprised that I am returning 40.6 mpg in just over 4k miles.

I'm getting an average of 39.3 mpg(UK) on the dash for the last 1500 miles since the Re-map which includes a trip to the Isle Of Man with quite a few hard rides on the unrestricted roads, I'm happy enough with that as this bike is the most fun bike that I have ever ridden and also can excel at light touring.

My old Daytona 650 was worse on fuel with about 35 mpg when I dared to work it out.

As for why the Cross plane engine uses more than a conventional IL4, my thought is that the pumping losses in the engine are higher, that's the air being pushed back and forth under the pistons. In a normal IL4 it just moves between the inner and outer pairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
    I'm loving the mpg on the MT10.

I have moved from an Aprilia V4 and that was a real thirsty bike compared to the MT.

Mpg is not a consideration when I am bike shopping, but am pleasantly surprised that I am returning 40.6 mpg in just over 4k miles.
    I went touring 1200miles alongside a Tuono V4, and at every pit stop the MT-10 had guzzled more fuel.
    Not by a lot by still noticable. The Tuono even has a bit bigger fuel tank.
    2000 Yamaha FZS 600 Fazer
    2017 MT-10 SP

^ Purfect and Direct comparisons are quiet difficult. As One bike may be accelerated and braked harder than the other etc which affects.

Here’s a flip side; I’ve got an Aprilia 650 Pegaso it returns the same mpg as my MT-10. The 650 has 50 bhp and is slow opposed to the MT-10s 160bhp warp factor acceleration. The MT is what it is and improves a little as the mileage increases on the engine.
    Yamaha MT-10, > 13k miles | 96 Aprilia Pegaso (Re-Built) 655, > 85k | 09 Kawasaki KLX 450R , W/Ends & Other Off-road... | Last / Previous: Yamaha MT-09 7k / Triumph Tiger 955i, 22k, 01 Yamaha YZ 250, 00 Suzuki DRZ 400E & 95 DR 350S ?, 91 Honda CBR 600FM 11k, & 86 Honda VF500F2 12k | 89 Kawasaki KMX 200 & many other 2 strokes...

MotorBike: an engine with one wheel out front and another one behind.

Mpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rishnak View Post
    I went touring 1200miles alongside a Tuono V4, and at every pit stop the MT-10 had guzzled more fuel.
    Not by a lot by still noticable. The Tuono even has a bit bigger fuel tank.
    My 2012 V4 hybrid Tuono/rsv4 had a 17l tank, same as the SP and would have the fuel light flashing by 90 miles at the most.
    Sometimes as low as 70 miles.

It was a special Bike and highly modified.

As I said, mpg doesn’t concern me, but it is nice to have a bit more range from the SP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Went for a blast to Scarborough yesterday, got sick of mate harping on about how his Yam tracer was getting 60odd mpg! Asked what mine was and was shocked I was getting 50.5mpg? Should of took a pic as I've never seen it that high before. I think as long as you plan out your routes and know where the filling stations are there's no need to worry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk