Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mpg

With that speed 110-120km/h I get no less then 7L/100km with MT10... wonder if it is because of the akrapovic link pipe...?

To begin with, Fred’s BMW is an exception and your MT-10 is closer to typical average consumption.

Regarding the link pipe, there have been a number of posts indicating a drop in gas mileage with aftermarket exhausts. Even aftermarket tunes frequently do the same. Maybe because those things are supposed to increase horsepower. That takes us back to more horsepower requires more fuel.

We might be able to reinforce that theory if Fuelly included those details in their owners profiles and ideally grouped them into separate categories for reporting fuel consumption.
    Last edited by Tigershark; 10-10-2017 at 01:21 AM.
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tigershark View Post
    To begin with, Fred’s BMW is an exception and your MT-10 is closer to typical average consumption.

Regarding the link pipe, there have been a number of posts indicating a drop in gas mileage with aftermarket exhausts. Even aftermarket tunes frequently do the same. Maybe because those things are supposed to increase horsepower. That takes us back to more horsepower requires more fuel.

We might be able to reinforce that theory if Fuelly included those details in their owners profiles and ideally grouped them into separate categories for reporting fuel consumption.
    I run a 130 member S1000R facebook group and most of them are getting similar figures when purely touring on the highway. Of course other types or riding produces far more varied figures.

There seems to be only two MT-10's on Fuelly and can see it can be ridden economically

Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 12.25.04 pm.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 12.24.55 pm.jpg

Looks like your 130 facebook members aren’t posting to Fuelly.

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/bmw/s1000r

Quote Originally Posted by Tigershark View Post
    Looks like your 130 facebook members aren’t posting to Fuelly.

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/bmw/s1000r
    Well I certainly don't have some magical S1000R that does special fuel range for the last 11500klms. Again, I am only talking about pure highway touring here at 110kph. No idea what the fuelly people were doing.

Exactly why I posted proof....
    Last edited by fredaroony; 10-10-2017 at 10:04 AM.

Touring back from Hayshem in heavy rain i was on cruise at 75-80 most of the way. Doing that got the average up to 50mpg iirc the first block of the fuel gauge went off at about 85 miles, i got down to reserve in 80 just the day before.
    Last edited by Stonesie; 10-10-2017 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post
    Well I certainly don't have some magical S1000R that does special fuel range for the last 11500klms. Again, I am only talking about pure highway touring here at 110kph. No idea what the fuelly people were doing.

Exactly why I posted proof....

Not doubting what you got Fred. Mixed riding is the great equalizer. Monitoring real time mpg on my F700, I’ve been on long, continuous wind free stretches showing 70 mpg. Downhill takes that number up into the 80 mpgs. Taking off and upshifting drops the number to 20 mpg.

I don’t know what the MT-10 would get riding those long stretches you’re describing, but comparing the Fuelly high miles averages with the S1000R indicates the -10 mileage would not be as good as what you’re getting. I also noticed with my -10 that the difference in riding super aggressively versus extremely conservatively through one complete tank of gas for each style only changed the mpg per tank by around 5%. Not much different. The difference on the S1000R could be much greater.

Comparing real time mpg on your BMW with an MT-10 on a long stretch of highway would show that difference.

The bottom line is the MT-10 typically requires a fill up at close to 120 miles. If that’s unacceptable, the -10 is the wrong choice.

Most MT-10 owners are willing to accept that because of everything else the bike provides.

By the way, the Superduke 1290 on Fuelly averages 6.5 liters/100 kms.
    Last edited by Tigershark; 10-10-2017 at 02:08 PM.

^ All fair does TigerShark. Totally agree. Nice, well put realistic points.

I am MT fan due to facts experienced.

Fred has two bikes and for 70 posts here has been thinking of going to one and possibly that one bike being a MT-10, but he is holding off due to mpg. Hmm... mpg is not going change by waiting or will power, lol.

Tho as one of his current bikes is a BMW S1000R I do get the feeling that Fred a really big loyal BMW defender fan (or just a up-start, lol) on a Yamaha forum...

I am not really convinced that he is convinced to go for the Yamaha.

Especially as there seems to be so so so much focus on mpg on naked 1000cc high performance bikes, which seem ga ga wrong to me.

I Think it more about boasting here on the one area that the BMW is may be is slighty better, it may be better on mpg but not by any big Willy massive margins. And if Fred rode an MT as Highway gentle it too would be miserly.

Another point is that figures shown/displayed on the dash may be inaccurate as the speedo and flowmeters of the Bikes can read off calibration and be inaccurate or different ends of accuracy scales.

The Best mpg calculations are the good old fill it right up with go juice and reset the trip meter, ride it to near empty and refill it and do the math calculation of how much gas it took to refill it against the miles covered. But remember miles actually cover may be not be 100% accurate.

Who really (OMG) cares if Fred’s tip toe BMW uses a little less fuel that Yamaha’s might hoist the front wheel MT-10’s.

The MT is definite way more an engineering marvel and more exciting and it’s a Japanese reliable icon.

Also all those the vibes in the BMW handlebars, the boring normal clinical flat-plane crank / non cross-plane crank, the less relaiblity all put me off a S1kR. So hence no wonder BMW offer 2 year Breakdown Cover as it more likely to need breakdown and when the cam lobes wear the mpg will change for the worse too.

The less exciting BM chassis etc all says to me I’m happy I went with the MT. It should not be a childish trump game of S1kR versus the MT-10.

Tho I am in no doubt that the big MT is the bike for me. I should be on commission from Yamaha for MTs but I don’t really worry if everyone in the world has an MT-10 or I’m the only one, lol. Hope this is non lecture type typing. Seems some Folk and an Auzzie BM fan seem to like to internet argue.

S1000r fans / owners could may be best on BMW forums

I’m really glad that you are still motorcycling trucking away Tiger on the GS. And that you still visit and wisely and greatly contribute here!

Great stuff. Thumbs up.
    Last edited by X Plane; 10-10-2017 at 03:21 PM.
    Yamaha MT-10, > 13k miles | 96 Aprilia Pegaso (Re-Built) 655, > 85k | 09 Kawasaki KLX 450R , W/Ends & Other Off-road... | Last / Previous: Yamaha MT-09 7k / Triumph Tiger 955i, 22k, 01 Yamaha YZ 250, 00 Suzuki DRZ 400E & 95 DR 350S ?, 91 Honda CBR 600FM 11k, & 86 Honda VF500F2 12k | 89 Kawasaki KMX 200 & many other 2 strokes...

MotorBike: an engine with one wheel out front and another one behind.

Thanks XPlane. I like to contribute when I think it makes sense. Mostly just a silent observer.

Cheers.

I've come from a s1krr and I know it's totally different but it did return great Mpg, however it was the most unreliable bike I've ever had and I'd never buy a bmw again. I was on their forum for 2 years and there were some horror stories