Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Oil usgae

  1. #21
    Senior Member X Plane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    N.Ireland
    Posts
    1,875
    Don't get me wrong it doesn't say anywhere that it has to be 15W-50 10W-40 is ok too.

    The service manual specifics: "Full synthetic 10W-40, 15W-50". Therefore, both 10W-40 & 15W-50 are ok.

    IMG_2661.jpg

    Some oil use is normal.
    Last edited by X Plane; 07-19-2017 at 04:33 PM.
    Yamaha MT-10, > 13k miles | 96 Aprilia Pegaso (Re-Built) 655, > 85k | 09 Kawasaki KLX 450R , W/Ends & Other Off-road... | Last / Previous: Yamaha MT-09 7k / Triumph Tiger 955i, 22k, 01 Yamaha YZ 250, 00 Suzuki DRZ 400E & 95 DR 350S ?, 91 Honda CBR 600FM 11k, & 86 Honda VF500F2 12k | 89 Kawasaki KMX 200 & many other 2 strokes...

    MotorBike: an engine with one wheel out front and another one behind.

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    75
    Ambient temp & oil usage is a thought....I was riding most days in 35C during my trip.....and using lots of revs on the mountain roads. 1st & 2nd gear was perfect

  3. #23
    Senior Member The Mechanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    NWUK
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by X Plane View Post
    Don't get me wrong it doesn't say anywhere that it has to be 15W-50 10W-40 is ok too.

    The service manual specifics: "Full synthetic 10W-40, 15W-50". Therefore, both 10W-40 & 15W-50 are ok.

    IMG_2661.jpg

    Some oil use is normal.
    As the manual says, looking at the spec of both oils, I may try some 15/50, it may make the clutch drag a bit, but if I don't like it, I can always drop it out. Will feedback, if anything worthwhile comes from my "experiment".

  4. #24
    Senior Member Clemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    809

    Oil usgae

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mechanic View Post
    As the manual says, looking at the spec of both oils, I may try some 15/50, it may make the clutch drag a bit, but if I don't like it, I can always drop it out. Will feedback, if anything worthwhile comes from my "experiment".
    Same here mate, just ordered some Motul 300v 15/50 in so will also give it a go


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  5. #25
    Senior Member X Plane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    N.Ireland
    Posts
    1,875
    All good with the 15W-50 oil in my bike.
    Yamaha MT-10, > 13k miles | 96 Aprilia Pegaso (Re-Built) 655, > 85k | 09 Kawasaki KLX 450R , W/Ends & Other Off-road... | Last / Previous: Yamaha MT-09 7k / Triumph Tiger 955i, 22k, 01 Yamaha YZ 250, 00 Suzuki DRZ 400E & 95 DR 350S ?, 91 Honda CBR 600FM 11k, & 86 Honda VF500F2 12k | 89 Kawasaki KMX 200 & many other 2 strokes...

    MotorBike: an engine with one wheel out front and another one behind.

  6. #26
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    11
    Mine used approx 1 litre in the 3-3.5k-ish miles between the 600m service and my 12 month service, but immediately after that I did a 3k mile europe tour , where it got a proper ragging with lots of mountain passes and high speed stuff, most of it in 35 degree + temps and it hasn't moved a jot in the last 3k miles.
    Fuel consumption has also noticeably improved too by approx 20 miles a tank, so it really does seem to have settled down nicely

  7. #27
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Clemo View Post
    Same here mate, just ordered some Motul 300v 15/50 in so will also give it a go


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Motul 300 is a racing oil with lower viscosity and low ratio detergents to create more power.Its a racing oil with a life span of 1000 km max ... Go for the 7100 ..

  8. #28
    Senior Member Clemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    809

    Oil usgae

    Quote Originally Posted by pokeimam View Post
    Motul 300 is a racing oil with lower viscosity and low ratio detergents to create more power.Its a racing oil with a life span of 1000 km max ... Go for the 7100 ..
    don't do many miles anyhow mate and change quite regularly . But thanks for the info


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Clemo; 09-14-2017 at 08:40 AM.

  9. #29
    Junior Member Maadi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    18
    This is my 3rd oil change, at ~9000 miles. The one before was at ~4400. I noticed quite a lot of oil usage this time, none last time. Didn't do my due diligence of checking the oil in between... Must do more of that from now on. I'm using 15W50, seems to work OK down to my lowest riding temperature (~30F).

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Enter here your custom content for Block 01
Links
Enter your links here
Join us
Title
Enter your content here