Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello from Wolverhampton

First time on the mt 10 forum and this week was the first ride on my new mt 10 both a great new experience

Welcome! Enjoy your new ride.

Bigalfazer

I'm in Dudley also with a MT we should meet for a good ride on the rabbit run

Nice one we should go for a good tinkle. Message me

That would be good my only problem is that I work mad shifts at the royal mail and usually end up going out on days most people are working

I work in a call center so same here. My MT 10 has had to go back to dealership chain went slack one day a friend was on it. Took it to get checked out. Turns out two teeth on front sprocket cracked. They called today. New chain and sprocket fitted but still a noise in the gearbox. 2nd gear so needs to be stripped

Wow! How does this happen?
    2000 Yamaha FZS 600 Fazer
    2017 MT-10 SP

Quote Originally Posted by Rishnak View Post
    ^ Exactly, yeah, just how... Sounds like, so called mate, mad real bad poor Wheeling. Some mate...
    Last edited by X Plane; 07-04-2017 at 09:57 PM.
    Yamaha MT-10, 10k miles| 96 Aprilia Pegaso (Re-Built) 655, > 75k | 09 Kawasaki KLX 450R , W/Ends & Other Off-road... | Last / Previous: Yamaha MT-09 7k / Triumph Tiger 955i, 22k, 01 Yamaha YZ 250, 00 Suzuki DRZ 400E & 95 DR 350S ?, 91 Honda CBR 600FM 11k, & 86 Honda VF500F2 12k | 89 Kawasaki KMX 200 & many other 2 strokes...

MotorBike: an engine with one wheel out front and another one behind.

Sounds like your friend needs to never borrow your bike again, I can't even think what he must have done to it to crack 2 hardened steel teeth and mess up the even tougher gearbox.

Hell, the Australians have supercharged one of these engines to 250bhp, on a stunt bike, without damaging the gearbox. https://youtu.be/3rdl3DAvkDQ

I hope they get it sorted for you and it gives you many thousands of miles of fun.
    Last edited by Stonesie; 07-04-2017 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rishnak View Post
    Well we were out riding on a night I'm talking 2300 hrs. Bigalfazer will be aware of a local road we call the rabbit run. We went to weatherspoons after our ride. He did a couple of wheelies before. Bare in mind bike has done about 100 miles at this moment in time.

So I ask him if he tried the quick shifter he said no I was like oh since we are going home try it. So on he goes we are at the lights. I'm on his GSXR 750 2011 which I used to own. I sold it to him. So we are having a little race. Bear in mind I told him nothing above 6000rpm. We go to pull off I hear this almighty metal sound we didn't even go 20 yards. Chain went slack.

Another thing I had noticed whilst riding behind him was the wheel was wobbling a little earlier on. Not dramatically. Just a little off. I thought I'll check out the alignment when I get home. But it never made it that far at this point bearing in mind I have no idea the teeth have broken. I nursed her home. Took her back to the dealership I thought the chain had stretches really badly.

The chain was at this point hitting the bottom of the exhaust Cat whilst I rode along. So she's been away from me now for 9 days absolutely gutted being as weather has been decent. So I'm just waiting now. Hopefully I don't need a bear gearbox and hopefully I will get to experience what is left of my summer.

So yup now we wait. I don't know how my friend managed to do that. There must have been one big load on the gearbox. Bearing in mind 2015 R1 had gearbox problems needed a recall. However MT 10 has no such known problems my dealership themselves contacted Yamaha they haven't heard of anything like it. Who knows what caused it maybe the wheelies or maybe a weak component or the wheel alignment maybe a mixture of all 3 things?

Luckily never happened at speed or it would have been a messy scenario. So yeah that's where I'm at. Any thoughts?