Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4th gear

4th gear

Just want to know if anyone else experiencing problems shifting out of third to fourth ?
    Having to select the action twice before it selects up.
    No noise,and it selects,and at lower speed it's better.
    Oil has been done five hundred miles ago,just doesn't want to shift up every time .
    Taking the bike to Yamaha when i get home in three weeks but was just wondering has anyone else experienced this.
    Dave.

Try adjusting your chain slack to manual spec.
    Yamaha is always sensitive for chain slack...

what oil do you use not that it matters ?

i had that problem on the track day, only from 3rd to 4th never had the problem before and it even did it on the way home.
    anyway daft as it sounds i put it down to the different boots i wore, only time i ever rode in those boots was on track and ride home, my normal boots were soaked from the ride there.
    not had the problem again since then but not wore my track boots again.
    try adjusting the gear lever down a bit so you dont have to lift your foot as much

Quote Originally Posted by Kazuya View Post
    i had that problem on the track day, only from 3rd to 4th never had the problem before and it even did it on the way home.
    anyway daft as it sounds i put it down to the different boots i wore, only time i ever rode in those boots was on track and ride home, my normal boots were soaked from the ride there.
    try adjusting the gear lever down a bit so you dont have to lift your foot as much
    Daft your experience sounds , i know exactly what you are on about and have experienced the same thing on my Triumph speed triple,and exactly as you say , with different boots.
    Good one.

Oil.Motul V as specified by my Yamaha dealer.

Chain bang on the measurement in the manual.

Its happene to me two weeks ago on my track day - I have QS and in some moments on one straight part of track - few times cant go from third to fourth gear!! But many others time it worked grat!
    Next stint, when I got same problem- I tried with clutch ( not qs) and nothing happened ... no way to put from third to 4..

On way home or few others stints it worked ok.

What can that be?

Yup Boots / Operator error!!!! lol. At least you found the error is not with the bike but with 'Wrong Boots' yup wrong angle boots not letting lever spring back can happen on any bike and cause missed gear changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Daft your experience sounds , i know exactly what you are on about and have experienced the same thing on my Triumph speed triple,and exactly as you say , with different boots.
    Good one.

Oil.Motul V as specified by my Yamaha dealer.

Chain bang on the measurement in the manual.
    Put the better boot into it, lol

Quote Originally Posted by rmilanovic View Post
    Its happene to me two weeks ago on my track day - I have QS and in some moments on one straight part of track - few times cant go from third to fourth gear!! But many others time it worked grat!
    Next stint, when I got same problem- I tried with clutch ( not qs) and nothing happened ... no way to put from third to 4..

On way home or few others stints it worked ok.

What can that be?
    Really, see booty above.
    Yamaha MT-10, 9k miles| 96 Aprilia Pegaso (Re-Built) 655, > 70k | 09 Kawasaki KLX 450R , W/Ends & Other Off-road... | Last / Previous: Yamaha MT-09 7k / Triumph Tiger 955i, 22k, 01 Yamaha YZ 250, 00 Suzuki DRZ 400E & 95 DR 350S ?, 91 Honda CBR 600FM 11k, & 86 Honda VF500F2 12k | 89 Kawasaki KMX 200 & many other 2 strokes...

MotorBike: an engine with one wheel out front and another one behind.

Thanks.. it really interesting that few of us just have problem with changing from third to 4.. I bought new Dainese boots and its wasnt cheap.. I need to find some other solutions

Quote Originally Posted by rmilanovic View Post
    Thanks.. it really interesting that few of us just have problem with changing from third to 4.. I bought new Dainese boots and its wasnt cheap.. I need to find some other solutions
    try adjusting the lever to suit the boots

Kazuya , I had quick shifter on track. And with QS few times problem to go from 3 to 4.. once when that happend with QS I tried in same moment with clutch (lever) and no luck.. like the rock - no way to go in 4..