Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Longer gearing

Longer gearing

Hey guys,
    Looking to get a little more out of 6th gear, so im not revving the guts out of her cruising down the highway 😂 Where should we start?

Sent from an untraceable prepaid burn phone

-1t rear

Skickat från min HTC 10 via Tapatalk

Maybe -2T

That way you also get longer wheelbase = more stability

To each their own, but I thought the gearing and stability were superb.

Finding sources for one tooth up for the front is easy and the change is easier. If you do the front, find the oem style sprocket with the molded in rubber snubber. It's harder to find -1 or -2 for the rear. Actually, -3 on the rear produces the same gear ratio change as +1 on the front and is more common from parts distributers.

One other thing to consider is the effect on travel on the chain adjuster blocks. More miles will cause some chain stretch that will require moving the blocks further back. The blocks will be moved approximately 2 mm per tooth added or subtracted, so -3 on the rear will move the blocks back close to 6mm. You should check your blocks to see how far back you feel comfortable with. Taking away too much future adjustment may require removing links from the chain. +1 in the front would keep the blocks closer to the middle providing future chain stretch adjustment eliminating any changes with the number of links.

I may be wrong, but I don't think up to 6mm increase in wheelbase would be very noticable.

By the way, front or rear changes described will drop rpm around 250-300. You can easily test the feel of this by dropping your rpm at cruising speed the same amount. You could also do both +1 on the front and -3 on the rear netting a 500-600 rpm drop at highway speed. The only drawback to that would be first gear startups requiring a lot more throttle to get the bike rolling with the taller gearing. Frequently killing the engine could be a less than pleasant experience.

And, this change will not make any significant difference in gas mileage. The number one effect on that is horsepower.

One more point. Doing any or all of the above will reduce accelleration performance through all of the gears. Of course, your potential top speed will go up. But, with all the power already on tap, this may be better by reducing unintentional wheelies, especially when passing others. Your choice.

Do yourself a favor and drop your cruising rpms while you're riding to see if it makes enough difference for you. I did it on my old Tiger 1050 and it was great due to that bike's much lower 6th gear.
    Last edited by Tigershark; 05-26-2017 at 03:13 PM.
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?

I went +2 on the rear much more fun , but I can see your point if you do a lot of highway riding

Quote Originally Posted by Richiemoto View Post
    I went +2 on the rear much more fun , but I can see your point if you do a lot of highway riding
    NICE!!! I have the sprocket to go +1. Just don't have the tools handy at the moment and I'm not convinced that I want to do it yet. I really don't think it will make a noticeable difference in cruising RPMs, but I just want to be sure before I take the time.

Dave
    Armor Gray FZ-10
    Yamaha YZ450F (Dirt and Supermoto)

I went -1 on the rear,
    Super easy job to do, takes about 5minutes and it dropped about 150-200 rpm's so the difference is only very small.
    Took the edge off them 4th gear wheelies and made the wheelbase around 11mm longer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Decreasing Dave View Post
    NICE!!! I have the sprocket to go +1. Just don't have the tools handy at the moment and I'm not convinced that I want to do it yet. I really don't think it will make a noticeable difference in cruising RPMs, but I just want to be sure before I take the time.

Dave
    +2 did not make a massive difference but I did need a longer chain but I was changing it anyway, you would probably be ok with +1

Thanks for all the replies guys,

Ill look into buying a 17t and replace the front sprocket first, see how that goes. Should take me from 2.69 to 2.53, which is lower than the R1. And from there we shall how she goes!

Sent from an untraceable prepaid burn phone