Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Coolent query....

Got hit, side swiped by a van last December.
    Was riding with my son on the back and managed not to drop it. Both ok minus a few bruises. Other driver was at fault.

Took 3 months to get parts in.
    Bike was still rideable and I continued to ride during that time.
    Repaired 2-3 weeks ago.

Yesterday coolant bottle almost detached from bike.
    Top bolt loose and bottom bolt missing.
    Repairer didnt nip the bolts up properly or forgot to the put the bottom one back in after replacing the RHS black cover holding the coolant bottle.? They are organising new bolts and have accepted liability.

But since getting it back 2-3 weeks ago its gone from the coolent level sitting halfway between low and full (as per spec) to it now sitting just under low. These checks were performed as per the user manual, done cold and when bikes in an upright position.

So I'm left wondering if after 5000km's this drop in coolent is a pure coincidence or if it might be a result of undetected damage from the original accident or even due to the shoddy repair and resulting rocking coolent bottle hanging on with one loose bolt?

So just trying to understand if anyone around the 4-5000km mark has had to top up coolent yet?

Ps. Average outdoor temps are 20-25 degrees celcius here at the moment. Bike runs on average between 90-107 degrees C.

8000+ miles from me and unless dealer topped up bottle, I haven't touched it. You may have a air bubble in system.

Prob a good idea to bleed it again and see if it still drops, theres a workshop service manual available on the site to show the procedure, it's pretty easy.

Post four has the link:
    http://mt10forum.com/threads/219-FZ-...hlight=dropbox
    You can use it, but it’s at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    8000+ miles from me and unless dealer topped up bottle, I haven't touched it. You may have a air bubble in system.
    Thanks…tho I thought air bubbles mightmake the level appear higher?
    Last edited by Qwerty; 04-27-2017 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keall View Post
    Prob a good idea to bleed it again and see if it still drops, theres a workshop service manual available on the site to show the procedure, it's pretty easy.[/URL]
    Was thinking of doing that but for now they want me to bring it in to just top up the level and put missing bolt back in. Then they want me to keep an eye on levels to see if it drops again.

What's the ultimate difference between topping up and replacing?
    Last edited by Qwerty; 04-27-2017 at 08:07 PM.

Air bubbles will eventually come to the surface and your coolant level will suddenly drop. Not sure if this works on the mt-10 but on a car you open the radiator top, start the engine and keep squeezing the radiator pipes to force out air bubbles. then keep topping up.

Quote Originally Posted by Digi View Post
    Air bubbles will eventually come to the surface and your coolant level will suddenly drop. Not sure if this works on the mt-10 but on a car you open the radiator top, start the engine and keep squeezing the radiator pipes to force out air bubbles. then keep topping up.
    i have had success with this before.
    Usually let it run with the cap off through 1-2 fan cycles.
    Allow to cool then top up

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    Thanks…tho I thought air bubbles mightmake the level appear higher?
    thats true, but then the air bubble works it way out into the topup bottle and the fluid level suddenly drops

The bleed bolt is at the top of the pump, not a good spot for air to get trapped and not sure it will work it's way out as the hose exit is below it.
    No. 12 on the diagram below.

CE_36764_1.JPG
    You can use it, but it’s at your own risk.

So one month later and only a thousand k's later...
    This is what I've found.

IMG_5520.jpg

All checks done first thing in the morning (Completely cold).

First Mark - Yamaha topped up to this level (4 cm)
    Second Mark - After 650km (2.8cm)
    Third Mark - After 1000km (2.2cm)

They asked me to bring the bike back in so they could check for air bubbles, damage to radiator, etc... but bike could not be faulted.

They've marked the coolant bottle again and asked me to keep an eye on it again...keep in mind before this all started my coolant levels had dropped to just under minimum @ 4500km's on the bike.

Does anyone here have any knowledge or info as to why my bike likes to drink the green goo?