Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Assume they have checked the missing coolant is not going into the oil/sump?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I doubt it very much...they had it for 2 days and didn't do any more than turn it on, let it run hot and look for leaks.

They said if it happens again (for the third time) they will get some machine in to pressure test it or something along those lines.

They marked it themselves this time as they are concerned about the way I checked the measurements. I said yeh right! And when I got home and the bike was cold, low and behold they'd marked it higher than the coolant level actually was...

Seems like a load of crap and yeh if it doesnt leak this time....as they've done nothing to it? or so they say... then you gotta worry about some kind of liquid sealant being used.

Whats involved in checking the coolants not going into the oil/sump?

if coolant gets into the sump it turns ya oil cloudy, kinda milky looking
    wouldnt have thought it could get in there though when the engine wasnt touched during the accident.
    if the bike was warm when they marked it, it might well show as lower when its cold

Checking coolant level on the side stand or straight up and down on a paddock stand or bike jack? Want to make sure the dealer was measuring the same way. Colour dye used in the coolant stands out really easy so if its not an external leak its got to be going into the oil jacket (possible but bad news) or into the exhaust port (also bas news but far less likely.) coolant does bot just disappear as it will not evaporate (hence not being able to use the slippery stuff on race tracks)

@kazuya...il take a look all the same. Re-marking coolant level - that's why I left it with them for 2 days.

@boyracer081...the marks in that image on my coolant bottle(on previous page) were taken upright, on level ground, with a second person marking levels while I held the bike.

Today I noticed some green inside and around the end of the overflow tube, tho Ive never inspected this before....

So the question beckons;
    At what level (checked cold) can the coolant continue to simply overflow out of the overflow tube when riding...taking overal temps, engine temperatures and even bike lean into consideration?
    Last edited by Qwerty; 06-20-2017 at 05:39 AM.

Surely this is not just as simple as a radiator cap not sealing correctly? Bike shop should also be able to measure coolant pressure in the system to see if its excessive and causing the radiator cap to vent fluid into the overflow, should overfill the header tank before it comes out the overflow vent to the ground though.

if theres air in the system it will expand when its hot forcing coolant out the overflow

Quote Originally Posted by Kazuya View Post
    if theres air in the system it will expand when its hot forcing coolant out the overflow
    Yup... There is a 10 mm bleed bolt on the water pump cover at the top behind the clutch activation arm, which can be opened up, to let trapped air hiss out of CP4 engine.
    Yamaha MT-10, 10k miles| 96 Aprilia Pegaso (Re-Built) 655, > 75k | 09 Kawasaki KLX 450R , W/Ends & Other Off-road... | Last / Previous: Yamaha MT-09 7k / Triumph Tiger 955i, 22k, 01 Yamaha YZ 250, 00 Suzuki DRZ 400E & 95 DR 350S ?, 91 Honda CBR 600FM 11k, & 86 Honda VF500F2 12k | 89 Kawasaki KMX 200 & many other 2 strokes...

MotorBike: an engine with one wheel out front and another one behind.

This is my overflow tube....definitely green!
    IMG_5567.jpg

Found some info on some older MT-09's as well...
    http://mt09.motorcycle-talk.com/foru...nt-bottle.html

And then today someone here posted this...
    http://mt10forum.com/threads/2404-Co...-overflow-tube