Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Brembo 19RCS and Fren Tubo Brake Lines (Guide & Pictures)

So i just wanted to post up some information and my experience with the Brembo 19RCS Radial Master Cylinder and the Fren Tubo line kit. I got the type 4 line kit, which is Carbon Fiber braided instead of stainless.

There was another member on here disappointed and upset that Fren Tubo didn't include two of the rubber lines that are underneath the tank that go into the ABS pump, so here's my experience with the install, and my feedback, and what Fren Tubo is working on.

I worked with a great dealer from another forum that i had experience with, Pj's Church of Speed, and we wanted to make a kit that was better than using the OEM Nissin radial master cylinder for not much more money. So we decided on a Brembo 19RCS, with Fren Tubo Brake lines. The kit also includes the necessary Brembo mirror mount, and brake fluid reservoir kit. It will include the correct brake light switch as well, we're just working out the last few details with that.

Here is the brake line kit, and what's included

16930367_1369234979765036_480452290_o.jpg16930861_1369255656429635_1558986722_o.jpg

As you can see, there are 5 lines included in this kit, 1 per side for calipers (into 1 line) 1 front Master Cylinder line, 1 rear Master Cylinder line, and 1 rear brake caliper line. This is what another member on here had issue with, since there are also 2 additional rubber lines underneath the tank. The way the factory lines are set up, are there are hard lines in between the master cylinder and abs pump, and calipers to abs pump. The Spiegler kit eliminates the hard lines, and is just one continuous line per connection. In my opinion, as was my dealers, it's a bad idea to eliminate those hard lines, as hard lines do not expand at all, and the hard lines are placed where there is a significant amount of engine heat. The only upside to eliminating the hard lines is less connection points to possibly leak later on. But if they are installed and torqued correctly, the lines should never leak. Apparently as well, the Spiegler kit being sold overseas is much line the Fren Tubo kit in that it keeps the factory hard lines.

The dealer i am working with has a good relationship with Fren Tubo, and we have sent them pictures and details of the additional lines that are underneath the tank, and they are evaluating it, and by the way it sounds, those lines will be included in future kits.

Now on to the installation. These lines are fairly easy to install, just requires some patience. At this point it is not necessary to remove the tank to install these lines, but in the future if those lines are included, removing the tank will be necessary. The brake lines in the front are trickier then the rear, as there is very little room to work with in front of the radiator where the front lines are all connected. To add a little more space, i removed the side covers off the Radiator. Here are some pictures to show the OEM lines, and Fren Tubo Lines in place

IMG_0446.jpgIMG_0445.jpgIMG_0455.jpg

To start the installation, i began at the master cylinder, and removed that, along with the line. I removed the throttle grip as well for a little more room, but that wasn't 100% necessary. I marked on the handle bar where the original master cylinder was mounted, so i could match that with the Brembo.

IMG_0439.jpgIMG_0444.jpg

Once i had the new Brembo MC installed, i removed the front caliper lines from the hard point in front of the radiator and installed the new Fren Tubo lines.

17093141_1425111994179710_822806781_o.jpg17106098_1425389104151999_1939384451_o.jpg

At this point, i bled the front brakes, starting at the master cylinder, going down to the left caliper, then the right caliper. I then rode the bike, cycled the ABS a few times, and came home and re-did the same process.

I moved on to the rear master cylinder and caliper. Those were both very straightforward. Remove the fluid reservoir first to get access to the lines at the hard connection. Also place towels underneath to catch the brake fluid that will come out of the lines. Here's a pic installed.

17121943_1427083143982595_710232761_o.jpg

I bled the rear brake, went on a ride, and did the same thing as the front, cycled the ABS, then came back home and re-bled the brakes again. In total i used almost 1 bottle of Motul brake fluid doing the brake bleed.

First impression right away is this is a significant improvement over the stock lines and master cylinder. I don't have experience with the OEM Nissin Radial MC, but the Brembo makes a large difference. It also has 2 different settings on it, depending on how aggressive you want the front brakes to be. Brembo's website explains it perfectly, "The RCS system consists of an adjuster that sets the brake lever pivot distance to either 18 or 20 mm, for the perfect feedback between rider and machine: setting the pivot distance to 20 mm makes the braking system more reactive and immediate, while a pivot distance of 18 mm makes it more precisely controllable"

The brake lines did a great job at firming up both front and rear levers. There are 2 more lines as i said under the tank that are still rubber, so replacing those may firm up the lever a bit more, but don't have any feedback on that. If Fren Tubo makes the lines, i will install them and update this post with feedback on differences, if there is any.

I also have the Brembo front and rear brake pads. Those were installed awhile ago, and them by themselves made a big improvement over the stock pads.

Right now the only thing i'm still working on is the brake light switch. The switch included in the Brembo kit is a normally closed switch, and our bikes use a normally open switch, which means right now the brake light goes off when pressed and is on when stationary, opposite of what it should be doing. I have the correct switch on order and it will be installed next week.

Last thing, i want to give a big shoutout to PJ at Pj's Church of Speed/Sportbikes4hire. He was awesome to work with, answered all my questions, no matter the time of day, and put together an awesome kit for us FZ-10 owners at a great price. Here's a link to his website: https://www.sportbikes4hireshop.com/ecommerce/index.php
    Last edited by Psosmith82; 03-19-2017 at 06:03 AM.

The biggest downfall to the Brembo RCS master (it IS great) is that the stock brake switch won't work. A little ingenuity can help this along, but there isn't a good way to keep the cruise control functional with a single switch (the factory switch is actually a dual switch). For some folks, that is a deal breaker.

And as far as the concerns about the factory hard lines, there is no reason to keep them based on heat. The braided stainless lines will do the trick and don't expand, either. Certainly to each their own, though.

Yes, the factory switch is a dual step switch, so a work around is needed. The workaround is tapping the 2 power wires together, and the 2 negative together, and connect that with the switch that will be included with the kit PJ is selling. You still have full cruise control functionality, but lose the dual step functionality on the front brake. So when operating the brake, instead of the first step disengaging the cruise control and second step engaging the brake light, it's a single step process and the brake light comes on and cruise control disengages at the same time. To me that's not a big deal, as there are 2 additional ways of disengaging the CC as well (Rear Brake, And Throttle)

The wiring details are as follows.

The Green/Yellow wire is the brake light
    The Yellow/White wire is Cruise Control Disengage
    You'll tap these 2 wires together
    The Yellow/Black and Green/White are grounds
    You'll also tap these 2 wires together

In the end, your harness will look like this, with bullet connectors on the end.

IMG_0528.jpgIMG_0527.jpg

The is what you plug your factory harness into

IMG_0530.jpg

This is how i have mine wired up and it works great. You still have full Cruise Control and Brake light functionality, just in one step, instead of two.
    Last edited by Psosmith82; 03-22-2017 at 03:53 AM.

^ also, Pulling in the clutch lever in will disengage the cruise control.

I find pulling the clutch in smoothest way to switch off the cruise control.
    Yamaha MT-10, > 13k miles | 96 Aprilia Pegaso (Re-Built) 655, > 85k | 09 Kawasaki KLX 450R , W/Ends & Other Off-road... | Last / Previous: Yamaha MT-09 7k / Triumph Tiger 955i, 22k, 01 Yamaha YZ 250, 00 Suzuki DRZ 400E & 95 DR 350S ?, 91 Honda CBR 600FM 11k, & 86 Honda VF500F2 12k | 89 Kawasaki KMX 200 & many other 2 strokes...

MotorBike: an engine with one wheel out front and another one behind.

That's great you were able to rewire. One of our customers tried to do this and was unable to make it work. They ultimately went with the factory Nissan. We're a Brembo dealer as well, so we're planning on fitting the RCS later this season.

As far as i know you only lose dual step switch...
    Witch realy isnt a big problem or difrence.
    And regarding switch normal close or open you have from brembo additional switch that has both normal open and normal close, so in basic it has 3 wires so you just connect depending what you need.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brembo-RCS-1...%257Ciid%253A2

Quote Originally Posted by Psosmith82 View Post

There was another member on here disappointed and upset that Fren Tubo didn't include two of the rubber lines that are underneath the tank that go into the ABS pump
    Let say ,more disappointed to let 60 cm of oem rubber lines on front brake circuit
    Cause they are unable to do their job and unable to find a fine technical solution
    AKA minimal improvement compare to oem lines

Will add ;motorcycles are family business and I am professional test driver , more than 25 years (27 soon) around the world from Brembo
    also i m not doing commercial/trying to sell here ...

Have fun to get the 2 missing lines , i m waiting them (what i payed for ) since October 2016

Last edited by Ghostrider.1127; 03-20-2017 at 12:46 AM.
    In my garages : Honda cbr1000rr 04 / cbr1000rrSP 14 / cbr1000 rrsp2 17 ,cb1000r 2015 / cre500SM 03 / VFR1200F 11 /Bmw S1000r 15 / S1000rr 15 / Suzuki gsx-s1000 16 /Yamaha mt10(M) 16 / mt10 sp 17/ mt09 17 /aprilia tuono 1100 factory 16 / suzuki gsxr 1000 k2-k5 / ZeroSR 16 /Few (12) gsx-r oil cooled

Quote Originally Posted by brzi181 View Post
    As far as i know you only lose dual step switch...
    Witch realy isnt a big problem or difrence.
    And regarding switch normal close or open you have from brembo additional switch that has both normal open and normal close, so in basic it has 3 wires so you just connect depending what you need.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brembo-RCS-1...%257Ciid%253A2
    Yes, you should be right. Haven't tried it on our bike yet, but at the time, didn't see a reason why it wouldn't have worked. Customer feedback said otherwise, but again, not verified on this end. If it truly works well, that's very good news indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider.1127 View Post
    Let say ,more disappointed to let 60 cm of oem rubber lines on front brake circuit
    Cause they are unable to do their job and unable to find a fine technical solution
    AKA minimal improvement compare to oem lines

Will add ;motorcycles are family business and I am professional test driver , more than 25 years (27 soon) around the world from Brembo
    also i m not doing commercial/trying to sell here ...

Have fun to get the 2 missing lines , i m waiting them (what i payed for ) since October 2016

There was no advertisement or "commercial" here. This was a thread meant to help fellow members/riders and to provide information only. I had a positive experience with a dealer, so you bet i'm going to give him and his business a friendly shout out in a thread i created about a product i purchased from him. Forums are supposed to be a place where like minded people can go and communicate and learn from each other, not just show off there bike and expensive parts.

We all know that you hate Fren Tubo Ghostrider.1127, but please stay out of my thread unless you have something positive to add to it. I'm pretty sure they know how to do there jobs, otherwise they wouldn't be in business and have the reputation that they do.