Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Angry Dead Battery Within Three Weeks!?

Wanted to go on a quick rip before bed, hit start, got the dreaded click click click. So, yes, dead battery! I threw it on the trickle charger.

I am 90% sure I know why. When I bought the bike the mechanic went over everything with me. He specifically told me to kill the bike using the key only, NOT using the red kill switch on the handle bar. He said it will make the starter button last longer (something about one electrical connection being nickel, the other being copper?). I thought, strange, but my brother had been doing this on his Honda for years, so maybe there is something to that. So is that why my battery is dead already? Is it because the red switch was in run mode and maybe that was putting a tiny drain on the battery? Or is something more sinister going on? Anyone else shut off their engine this way but didn't have a battery issue? Anyone else have a dead battery within the first 3 weeks? Thanks in advance!

Dead Battery won't come back alive on a charge.....

I call BS on your mechanic for telling you not to use the kill switch designed to do exactly that....

Also maybe the ignition key was set to park position which will slowly drain the Battery...
    Last edited by Nomadaus; 03-10-2017 at 03:09 AM.

Ignition turned to park. Drains battery. Trickle charger for a few hours and you're riding again. I'd let it charge over night.
    2017 FZ-10

I did same. Turned key off too far last lock

Past lock position

^ Yep, there are other reports here too of battery draining if key is turned on round passed lock to the P park lights position. Even if no hazard lights or indicators are on when in the 'P' position.
    Last edited by X Plane; 03-10-2017 at 02:52 PM.
    Yamaha MT-10, 9k miles| 96 Aprilia Pegaso (Re-Built) 655, > 70k | 09 Kawasaki KLX 450R , W/Ends & Other Off-road... | Last / Previous: Yamaha MT-09 7k / Triumph Tiger 955i, 22k, 01 Yamaha YZ 250, 00 Suzuki DRZ 400E & 95 DR 350S ?, 91 Honda CBR 600FM 11k, & 86 Honda VF500F2 12k | 89 Kawasaki KMX 200 & many other 2 strokes...

MotorBike: an engine with one wheel out front and another one behind.

Thanks all! I didn't know what you guys were talking about, but I just took a look at the bike and, sure enough, there is a little "P" logo on the ignition, past the bar lock. I guess I should read the damn manual.

i never use the kill switch to turn the bike off

Using the kill switch is a bad habit, anyhow looks cooler to use the key and you won't leave it in for someone to jump on.

Leaving the bike in"P" is almost mandatory theres a thread on itsomewhere.

Always use the kill switch thats what it is for, next people will be bump starting just to save a starter motor.
    Wow do a slow mo video of turning off a bike via the key