Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A question about bike protection.

Not that I ever hope to use them but I may invest in some frame sliders. Here's why:

As I was getting my bike delivered to me in Brooklyn NY yesterday, there was this "kid" hangin out with his Gixxer. As I warmed up my bike he took off from the shop in no-less-than-showboating-fashion and dumped his bike in the middle of the intersection. I saw gloves and shoes fly and hear that unique noise of his motorcycle sliding across the intersection and impacting a city bus on its side.
    A few moments later a few shop techs rolled the bike back to where I was standing. I was astounded. I had to look hard to find the minimal damage that was done to the bike. From what I could tell the bike frame sliders and an exhaust slider took the brunt of the impact and slide with a few small scrapes on the tip of the right foot peg.

So clearly Im ready to invest in above but there are axle sliders, case sliders and more available on the market. My question is...how much protection do I need and what is excessive?

thanks

Good question, I've opted for Axle, Engine casings & frame. But how long is a piece of string. Not much of a one for the look of carbon swing arm sliders.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Good testimonial. So what kind were on the gixxer? And, what happened to the rider?
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?

Frame, engine casing, axle and silencer protection be about the max. I've frame bungs.

Sounds like the rider needed better shoes and gloves and protection oh and less showboating or more skills.
    Last edited by X Plane; 02-05-2017 at 08:44 PM.
    Yamaha MT-10, 10k miles| 96 Aprilia Pegaso (Re-Built) 655, > 75k | 09 Kawasaki KLX 450R , W/Ends & Other Off-road... | Last / Previous: Yamaha MT-09 7k / Triumph Tiger 955i, 22k, 01 Yamaha YZ 250, 00 Suzuki DRZ 400E & 95 DR 350S ?, 91 Honda CBR 600FM 11k, & 86 Honda VF500F2 12k | 89 Kawasaki KMX 200 & many other 2 strokes...

MotorBike: an engine with one wheel out front and another one behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigershark View Post
    Good testimonial. So what kind were on the gixxer? And, what happened to the rider?
    Not sure what kind was on the gixxer as they were scrapped pretty bad. But the black paint on the bike still looked great. As for the rider, I was told he was an new rider. He didn't come back with the shop with the bike and I was told he "requested" to go to the hospital.

I purchased some R&G Aero Frame protectors to fit on my MT10. When I went to fit them I found that the required Torque setting for the bolts on the protectors is about half of the engine bolts they replace because of their tensile strength being lower. According to R&G this is to allow the bolt to bend under impact which would take some of the energy out of a crash and help protect the frame. After reading various reviews on these kind of bolts failing during normal use I decided not to fit them. My main reason being that Yamaha must have an engineering purpose for tightening the oem engine bolts to 70nm. I'm sure a lot of forum members have these kind of protectors fitted without problem but for me it boils down to what you ultimately trust when you're on the pace.

20170205_162634[1].jpg20170205_162713[1].jpg
    I use this type, had these on an R6 track bike which I crashed a couple of times one was quite fast but the bike was pretty well saved, no engine damage.
    Not intending to drop the MT though

GB racing stuff is pretty good
    Big skids and wheelies since 1974

I have a box in the garage with GB Racing engine protectors and crash bungs, ready to be fitted on my next day off.

They look like they will live up to the reputation if they are ever needed

Quote Originally Posted by Richiemoto View Post
    20170205_162634[1].jpg20170205_162713[1].jpg
    I use this type, had these on an R6 track bike which I crashed a couple of times one was quite fast but the bike was pretty well saved, no engine damage.
    Not intending to drop the MT though
    Is that a LV decat with Remus can ceramic coated. Looks drop dead gorgeous