Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Weekend European tour Part 1

European road trip
    France, Belgium and Germany
    7th - 9th of October

Me MT10
    Lewis Gsxr 750

Abbreviated version for people that donít like reading.
    Ride to Belgium
    Ride to Mettet
    Break down
    Get bike fixed
    Crash bike
    Ride to Germany
    Ride Nurburgring
    Ride home

The original plan was to go to Belgium to watch the Supermoto finals at Mettet but we also thought we'd throw a few laps of the Nurburgring in.

Packed the bike up with a mates 20L + 10L Kriega bags, had a mate blow out so had to rearrange the accommodation at the last minute...

Eurotunnel to France, instantly amazed at the level of driving on the continent, all the drivers move over and seem to be aware of bikers.

Long boring trip on the motorway to our accommodation in Belgium, Mettet, after an hour or so my arse was beginning to hurt so thankfully my friend was happy to swap bikes. (That comfort seat just doesnt work for me!) Once we got off the motorways the roads became amazing.

We left all our luggage at the hotel and headed out to enjoy some twisties and go and see a few mates who were racing at the Supermoto championship.

Went to leave and Lewis's bike wouldnít start, so we bumped started it and off we went.. 5 minutes later it died.. a bit of head scratching and swearing later, we reckoned it was either a duff battery or more than likely the reg/rec. I asked my mate before we left if he had European cover to which he said yes but now it seems he doesnt!!!! thankfully a kind Belgium lad (who was wearing a Yamaha jacket) pulled over in his car and with our broken French he said there was a bike shop 10 miles away.. we went to my bike to see if I had a allen key to take his seat off and the chap just drove off. oh well we thought but 10 mins later he comes back with his tool kit, whips the battery out and takes my mate to the shop. 50 mins later they return with a new battery. We give him some money for his troubles and off we go to the Supermoto paddock. Had a wander round the paddocks and oggled all the awesome machinery and then headed back to our accommodation. Well 10 mins into our return journey his bike dies again.. so we end up pushing physically for 5 minutes until we are exhausted and then me pushing the back of his bike with my foot on his rear foot peg for 5 long/hard miles!

Get back to our pimpy accommodation and down a couple of well earned pints and enjoy some grub.

The owner of the hotel, said he knew of a bike shop that was close and that he would help us in the morning. We also found a local Suzuki dealership that wasnít too far away.

In the morning he calls up the Suzuki shop and they said they could take a look, so the owner says we can load the bike in his Toyota Hilux eeeeekkk!!!! Well itís not my bike and Iím not pushing it again but thankfully he turns up with a horse box on the back, bike loaded but no straps so Lewis has to sit on the bike while it is towed to the shop. He sends me a funny picture of him in the back being bounced around with the alarm blaring in his ears as the bike battery is now dead.

Suzuki say they canít get the part in until Monday but the hotel owner explains that we donít have that long and could they try and fix it. They said they will see what they can do and to come back at 15:00 later on.

So we go out for a very tasty pizza lunch and enjoy some of the sites.

Then I have to take Lewis to Suzuki on the back of my bike with no rear foot pegs... thank god for the quick shifter.

Arrive at Suzuki and instantly there are people 'trying' to chat to me about my bike.

Thankfully they have fitted another reg/rec to his bike and a new battery and his bike is good to go!!!!

We hastily get back to our accommodation and pack our bags and head off to Germany.

We decide to take the scenic route which is miles upon miles of twisty roads.

OMG this is nirvana!!!

We are both using intercoms so can relay any debris or dangers ahead of us while riding.

I hear Lewis say, heís gone into hot and see him dab the brake mid corner but he gets round this tight right hander and then tips into an even tighter downhill left hander, we are both laughing at this point and then he lowsides it down the hill!!! arrgghhh for fuck sake!! I pull over down the hill and am torn between taking a photo of him or running over to help him pick it up. I decide to pick it up as he is clearly struggling. Get it up right and thankfully his R&G bung has done the trick, no broken levers and Lewis is OK.

We take it a little more sedately for the rest of the journey, its getting dark and both of our bikes are shit on fuel but thankfully we find a fuel station.

Part 2

Itís now pitch black, beginning to rain and our hands are freezing, the roads are so twisty that I'd rather be in a nice warm safe car....

Thankfully we are only minutes from our destination when we come across these two tunnels. The locals must hate bikers!!

The hotel is situated in bowl surrounded by a stream and all of the buildings look like something out of Cinderella, totally enchanting!!

We put the bikes in their safe storage area along with 20 other bikes and head out to a highly recommended Tapas bar.

Up bright and early and eager to get on, scoff a tasty continental breakfast and then say our goodbyes to our hosts, they see us off and marvel at the MT10 again as its the 1st one they have seen.

40 mins of glorious dry twisties we arrive at the Nurburgring. The roads surrounding the Nurburgring are amazing and itís worth driving this far just for them!!!!

Unbeknown to us the FULL GP circuit was open today!!! OMG Iím like a kid in a candy shop. Iíve driven the circuit before in the car and it was amazing but I saw how dangerous it is for cars let alone how incredibly dangerous it is for motorbikes. Porsches, BMW, Mercs any fast cars would basically sit a meter behind the vehicle in front through the corners and overtake at any opportunity. Watching them do that to a motorbike is damn right scary!!

We get there and the track is closed due to an incident. We pull up and instantly people are coming over to eyeball the MT10 an English chap comes over and says he has the same colour at home and that heís just fitted a 3/4 Austin Racing system to his. Top lad!!

We get chatting to this rider on a Street triple who is very dubious about going onto the ring by himself as his friends didnít want to do it, so said he could tag along with us.

Ticket purchased, Go Pro on, bags strapped down, game face on!

What can I say, the Nurburg GP circuit is amazing, couple that to the 13 mile Nurburgring too and I was in motoring heaven! It was crazy busy though and I spent most of my time looking in my mirrors and moving over to the right to let the fast cars come by. Only once did a Ferrari 360 nearly take me out as he took the apex. I dropped into the first carousel and was nearly bucked off so decided not to do the second one. There were two yellow flags while I was on the track and both the cars were totally destroyed! god knows what they were doing!

Happy to be alive and feeling invigorated, I get back to the carpark and wait for Lewis and this other chap, thankfully both survive and are unscathed and both beaming from ear to ear!!!!

Itís now 12:00 so time to start heading back to the UK. We decided to take the twisties for an hour and then jump on the long, boring and uncomfortable motors back to Calais.

Jump on an earlier train and am home in time for tea.

1000 miles done and the MT didnít miss a beat. When I tour again I need to invest in a screen as my helmet was trying to rip itself off my head at certain speeds.. (Arai Quantum F) I could sit happily at 85-95 (dependent on the wind) I also want to get a tank bag as trying to fish in your pockets for credit cards/passports is difficult.

Part 3

^ Holysmoke. Highs & lows (sides). Friendly helpful locals. Love abbreviated summary. I use that later for my Part 4... I hope Part 2 as mad and good.
    Last edited by X Plane; 10-10-2016 at 11:02 AM.
    Yamaha MT-10, > 13k miles | 96 Aprilia Pegaso (Re-Built) 655, > 85k | 09 Kawasaki KLX 450R , W/Ends & Other Off-road... | Last / Previous: Yamaha MT-09 7k / Triumph Tiger 955i, 22k, 01 Yamaha YZ 250, 00 Suzuki DRZ 400E & 95 DR 350S ?, 91 Honda CBR 600FM 11k, & 86 Honda VF500F2 12k | 89 Kawasaki KMX 200 & many other 2 strokes...

MotorBike: an engine with one wheel out front and another one behind.

So jealous, the Burg is high on my to-do list! Great write up mate, thanks for sharing!
    If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid.

Whirl wind, drama filled, touring lol.
    Hey those locals fairly and very friendly looked after you'd and sorted yous out. Yes, screen, try Harz Mountains, Germany next time.

http://mt10forum.com/threads/926-U-K-To-Germany
    Last edited by X Plane; 10-10-2016 at 11:04 AM.
    Yamaha MT-10, > 13k miles | 96 Aprilia Pegaso (Re-Built) 655, > 85k | 09 Kawasaki KLX 450R , W/Ends & Other Off-road... | Last / Previous: Yamaha MT-09 7k / Triumph Tiger 955i, 22k, 01 Yamaha YZ 250, 00 Suzuki DRZ 400E & 95 DR 350S ?, 91 Honda CBR 600FM 11k, & 86 Honda VF500F2 12k | 89 Kawasaki KMX 200 & many other 2 strokes...

MotorBike: an engine with one wheel out front and another one behind.

Ha ha ha love it! That's what touring is all about, the little givi tank bag with locking ring is great I've used it for a few years now, easy to get card or money out and not even take my gloves off at tolls!
    Man maths with a dose of alcohol is always a winner!!

Nice report !!!
    In my garages : Honda cbr1000rr 04 / cbr1000rrSP 14 / cbr1000 rrsp2 17 ,cb1000r 2015 / cre500SM 03 / VFR1200F 11 /Bmw S1000r 15 / S1000rr 15 / Suzuki gsx-s1000 16 /Yamaha mt10(M) 16 / mt10 sp 17/ mt09 17 /aprilia tuono 1100 factory 16 / suzuki gsxr 1000 k2-k5 / ZeroSR 16 /Few (12) gsx-r oil cooled

How did you connect kriega 20l pack to seat? Are you using sub frame loops then hooks from clip in clasps?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yes the Kriega pack comes with straps that go round the sub frame and then hook onto the bag.